Utah State Parks

Utah State Parks
Hiking Wild Horse Canyon

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Fall Bike Rides

This year the fall colors take my breath away.  I've been doing some bike riding just because the days have been warm and the colors exquisite.  I rode the Chipman Trail from Moscow last Saturday, after spending the morning with Duane and Colin at the Farmer's Market.  It's about 10 miles from the old Tidyman's parking lot to Bishop Blvd in Pullman.

I always like to stop and read the signs - I learned most homesteaders came west and desired to settle along rivers and creeks, initially by-passing the hills.  Early homesteaders later discovered the rich topsoil of the Palouse and the area quickly filled with settlers after 1860. 

Last Tuesday I loaded my bike on my car and drove to Spokane anticipating a long bike ride with my brother-in-law, Dan.  He found several quiet residential streets  that eventually took us to Manito Park.  I thought he was willing to take  a lot of risks on the road,  and he thought I was the risk-taker because I wouldn't stay on my side of the street, often wandering into the middle of the street.  I had a brush with a big semi truck near High Drive that resulted in a battle scar to my knee, but not enough to stop us from enjoying the gorgeous colors of the maple trees in the Japanese Gardens of Manito Park.




Dan is standing on the same bridge that he and Marilyn had their engagement picture taken 36 years ago!  

On Wednesday we drove to Gonzaga University and got on the Centennial Trail that one can ride all the way to Coeur d'Alene.  

We rode all the way to Boulder Beach and back, a 10-mile ride on the north side of the Spokane River.

Now I'm even more convinced that I need to take a road trip and explore more bike trails all over the country.  One can ride Rails to Trails in almost every state and I think it's a great way to explore God's creation - so much better than traveling on a freeway and being confined to the inside of an automobile!

No comments:

Post a Comment