Utah State Parks

Utah State Parks
Hiking Wild Horse Canyon

Monday, March 5, 2012

San Diego Vacation, Part II

The Welk resort is about six miles from Escondido.  Someone told us Lawrence Welk bought the property in 1964.   Now there are several time share units that are rented or in various stages of being upgraded or remodeled.  Yvonne and I were very comfortable in our unit, often enjoying the morning sun on our necks as we drank coffee and said our morning prayers.    We did agree to take a tour of the new units and for our time we got free tickets to the theatre.  One night we enjoyed watching four men emulating the Beatles and their music, especially John Lennon's "Imagine."  We commented on the clothes and hair that seemed outrageous to our parents in the '60's.

I really enjoyed Rich Little's presentation of the Life of Jimmy Stewart.  As part of the presentation, various actors came into Jimmy's life and Rich impersonated them too - Henry Fonda, Cary Grant, Ronald Reagan, even Katherine Hepburn.  Rich delighted in the age of the audience because all of us knew the people he was trying so hard to be!

At the end of his presentation Rich climbed the stairs, turned around and pretended that he was in heaven, meeting his maker.  I loved what he said,  "Lord, you gave me incredible talent and I hope I've used that talent well.  It's been a Wonderful Life." (Jimmy Stewart is the star of that great film, "It's a Wonderful Life.) I wonder if  I might not say the same thing.

Yvonne inspired me by her desire to stay connected to co-workers, family, and college friends.  I especially enjoyed meeting Rick's Aunt, Doris Gold.  I don't know how old she is, but she's young at heart - an honored Cachetmaker.  Her walls are covered with awards of this artistic craft.  Here's the Wikipedia definition:


In philately, a cachet is a printed or stamped design or inscription, other than a cancellation or pre-printed postage, on an envelope, postcard, or postal card to commemorate a postal or philatelic event. There are official and private (independent of postal authorities) cachets.[1] They commemorate everything from the first flight on a particular route, to the Super Bowl. Cachets are also frequently made, either by private companies or a government, for first day of issue stamp events or "second-day" stamp events. They are often present on event covers.

The first cacheted FDC (first day cover) was produced by prominent philatelist and cachet maker George Ward Linn in 1923, for the Harding Memorial stamp issue.



I gratefully accepted a FCD commemorating Mother Teresa on 9/5/2010.  She also gave me one honoring the 100th anniversary of the Boy Scouts on 7/27/2010.  Doris's work is outstanding - hours and hours of detailed drawings.  She even makes her own envelopes because it's so challenging to get the designs printed on mass-produced envelopes.  I will treasure the gifts as well as the visit for years to come.  




Doris and Morris live in a spacious apartment in La Mesa.  They were high school classmates and became re-acquainted at a class reunion after Doris's husband died. Morris attends Jewish Synagogue daily. I was privileged to hear him read from a sacred book in Hebrew.
Doris and Morris inspired me with their passions.  Yvonne and I decided that we both need a hobby or retirement job that communicates some passion we have to everyone we meet. Would that a visit to our homes in twenty years might inspire someone!!!!
Yvonne and I enjoyed several walks around the Welk Resort, and the Cedros Design District in Salano Beach with her college friend from Gonzaga University, Cheryl. I would highly recommend a vegetarian lunch at an outdoor cafe called Zinc.  Wonderful marinated asparagus salad!





We didn't do any real hiking, but Allan did drive me over to Modjeska Canyon and Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary.  We took a short hike up the hill to get a better view of the area where Brian built a footbridge for his Eagle Scout Project.  The trip created many memories for me and gave me connections to new friends.  It will be another treasure in "my wonderful life." Thank you Yvonne!

No comments:

Post a Comment