Utah State Parks

Utah State Parks
Hiking Wild Horse Canyon

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Karen's Birthday

It seems like just a few years ago, not a few decades ago that I welcomed a beautiful baby girl, with lots of black hair into my life.  I remember the doctor saying, "it's a girl"! Her sweet face and soft skin overwhelmed me with feelings of joy and gratitude!

Karen was a happy baby, always smiling, just like she is today.  
 In my search for pictures from her childhood I found few of her alone.  Most were with Duane, her Dad, friends, kittens, or other animals.  She wanted to be a vet when she was a little girl!



Karen always preferred being with other people rather than being alone.  She enjoyed Mrs. Scotty's School where she and Amy always wore dresses and black buckle shoes.  We moved to Santa Rosa before she was in kindergarten so she and Kelly St. Clair became best buds, often taking care of all the animals in the neighborhood.  It's not surprising now that she has three dogs and enjoys taking the big dogs for hikes and walks around the neighborhood.
Jake and Bradleigh gave her their favorite gifts of WebKinz animals for her birthday in 2007.



Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel was the most popular song the year Karen was born.  The words now remind me of how she was my bridge over the troubled waters of my divorce.  She dried my tears and stayed by my side when times got rough and comforted me when darkness settled in.  She gave me hope that I would survive as a single person and then welcomed me back to Lewiston.  I've been so grateful for all the ways she and her family include me in their busy lives.  
This is what I love about you:
Your beautiful smile
The patience you have when the phone rings when you are on call
The way you love John and my grandchildren
The great relationship you have with Jack and Delores
The way you take care of yourself by eating right and exercising
The kindness you show to your patients
The encouragement you give me to be active, to try new things, and to be myself
Your generous attitude toward friends and co-workers
The way you display family pictures
The way you make time for family gatherings
The way you've eased my mind and been right behind me.
The way you take time to visit with others when you meet them in the grocery store
Today, once again, I'm filled with gratitude for the Gift of You!


No comments:

Post a Comment