Utah State Parks

Utah State Parks
Hiking Wild Horse Canyon

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Hiking the Giant White Pines

I joined the Lewiston hiking group for a great hike near Harvard, Idaho.  We began our hike from the Giant White Pine Campground.  It was a beautiful summer day - not too hot and 22 of us met near the top of the trail, close to the former North South Ski Bowl lodge.


 There are lots of different trails from this campground and our scouts planned a 6 mile hike for us.


 Unfortunately, when we got to this vista we were so in awe of the view that we got off the trail and had to pratically get on our butts to get down to the US Forest Service Road.

When we did get back to the trail we found Huckelberries!  Ripe ones.



 There were several teachers in our group and they all knew about the Idaho State Champion White Pine tree that had to be cut down in May of 1999.




 One of my favorite things about hiking is meeting new friends.  I did know Sue (above, left).  Her mother lived at Juniper Meadows for years and Sue is also in a Cursillo 4th Day reunion group.  And Sue knows Margey and Alida from Moscow.  Alida delighted all of us with her wonderful stories about her pet goats....

 And this sweet lady, Barb, said to me, "Are you a Kopczynski?"  Well she and my sister, Connie, taught school together years ago at St. Mary's in Moscow.  We talked a lot about my dear sister and how much fun she is to be with.  She and Barb both talk about retirement, even though they love the children, the demands of the job sometimes sap their energy and enthusiasm.  So, once again my physical body got a good workout and my soul refreshed by the stories of faith of the people I met on this hike.  

1 comment:

  1. Recently, I noticed a woodpecker tapping into my White Pine tree. Much to my delight, it was a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,Fast Growing Tree Nursery

    ReplyDelete