Utah State Parks

Utah State Parks
Hiking Wild Horse Canyon

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

One Perfect Word

I recently read Debbie Macomber's book, One Perfect Word,  The book reveals how "the Lord takes us by the hand and walks us through the year, teaching us about that word, about ourselves, and even more, about God Himself."  She choose uplifting, by also difficult words over the years.  The chapter on brokenness touched me deeply as she described the year her husband left her and she faced the failure of her marriage and prospect of raising her children as a single mom.  I admire the way writers like Debbie can be honest and express the deepest joys and sorrows of their heart.  My writing is not filled with that much feeling, so I take what I can from good writers and say to myself, "yes, I feel that way or I believe that, too."  Reading others thoughts and feelings help me address my own.


Here's little video that Debbie explains how she chooses the one perfect word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAzZVGVph0

Debbie began her writing career writing romance novels in the 1970's.  Now she writes novels  involving women who knit and books about her own spirituality.  She writes of the power of words and quotes scripture in this book, such as "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you."  John 15:7.  I don't think I will adopt her practices as she chooses her word for the year, but she inspired me with the effort she put into it.

Handwritten words add a lot of meaning and power to a simple greeting card.  I received the sweetest card from Sheila Kopczynski this week.   It was a surprise that touched my heart!

My first thought was I don't deserve these words, but as I read them again I'm struck by the generosity of this sweet friend who painstakingly copied Bessie's poem and then went on to share other words to describe me.  Plus I noticed she used the word embrace twice.  For some reason reading her words confirmed my choice that I'd chosen the one perfect word for this year.  And, if Sheila thinks I embrace the "joy in just being," I'd better step it up a notch and get out of the funky feeling I always have after the Christmas celebrations. Thank you, Sheila, for the greeting card that brought something extraordinary in to my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment