Utah State Parks

Utah State Parks
Hiking Wild Horse Canyon

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fourth of July

Duane and I drove to Greencreek early on the 4th and joined Don and Dena for breakfast.  They had spent the night at the Inn at the Monastery and planned to enjoy all the prairie events, including Border Day's parade and the rodeo.
We were greeted by my sister-in-law, Ella, and a former neighbor, Mitzi.  When I introduced to Mitzi to Don, she said, "My you've grown up."  Mitzi and her first husband, Ralph, lived across the street from us in a mobile home.  Ralph died early in their marriage and Mitzi eventually married Dr. George Imhoff and moved to Ferdinand.  I had the privilege of caring for her dad, Andy Lurwig, while I worked at Grangeville Care Center in the mid 1990's.  
I loved the breakfast, especially all the homemade bacon and sausage!  We greeted classmates and parents of our classmates, including Irma Tacke, who celebrated her 82nd birthday.  She looked and acted like a giant sparkler.  I love that woman!
Don, Dena, and I spent time visiting with Erin and Dave Shears who live in our family home.  She said, "We love it."  He said, "I'm still trying to figure out the wiring system and what all those little red lights mean."  They are almost finished with the remodel of every room.  They tore out the wall between the kitchen and living room and invited me to come and see how nice it looks.  I don't think I'll do that because I prefer to remember everything the way it was....
Don and I did a lot of reminiscing about the the Greencreek Hall.  It was the high school gymnasium at one time.  When the school districts consolidated in 1961 several town fathers decided the teenagers could use it for roller skating.  I attended lots of weddings and dances here too.  Duane and I walked up to the "stage" and noticed all the graduating class pictures adjorning the walls that once served as the kitchen.  He took a lot of pictures and commented to someone that he'd never seen the high school pictures of his Wessels aunts and uncles.
Mary Jean's class of 1958
Roy's class of 1960
The last graduating class of 1961 had only five students.  Perhaps it was time to consolidate the school district.  The locals were angry and most Greencreek teenagers ended up at St. Gertrude's instead of the Cottonwood Public High School.
We climbed up a hill near the highway to get a glimpse of an old railroad trestle and the gorgeous canola fields.

Duane set up his tripod to get the elevators and the canola! 
We also attended a concert in Pioneer Park.


After a BBQ at the O'Shaughnessys, the boys put on a fireworks show for us in the comfort of their backyard, but we felt the urge to join the other crazy people at CHS for the real show.  The had to park illegally, but managed to watch the show and endure the traffic jam getting back home.












God Bless America!!  How thankful I am for our freedom and the opportunity for a family celebration in the middle of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment